Digital language lab is a multimedia-based language laboratory system, which works digitally. It provides transmission of the database over the local area network which is further connected to the main PC of the teacher or instructor. Afterward, around 20-30 users are connected to the main PC of an instructor to teach the students. It facilitates online teaching.
Digital language lab is a fast-growing technology it offers a wide range of content, tools, etc. to the students to learn a language. Online language lab has overcome the traditional library system. It brought a revolutionary change in the learning as well as the teaching of a language.
It provides control to the teachers to monitor the students and knows their level of learning with the help of metrics given in the software.
The demand for digital language lab or online language lab is increasing day by day due to the advancement of technology. Colleges provide opportunities for students to refine their communicative skills through the digital library system. It enables individuals as well as group study facilities. Audio and visual recording is used in digital library software to help the learner to understand the different accents and improve speaking skills.
Digital technology has changed the perspective of learning a language by providing all study material digitally available. The digital language lab provides an interactive learning environment for the students to learn effectively. Online language lab provides a scope of learning a language through daily practice and learning.
The components of modern language lab
- A system is allotted to the teacher for conducting language exercises.
- Headsets are worn by the teachers and students for clear communication.
- Students and teacher systems are connected to local area network.
- A storage device is required to keep all the lessons and materials on that server.
- Students require a media player or recorder to record audio lessons and listen to their speech.
It is the need of the hour to change the learning system of language from a traditional class to computerized or digital learning where students learn a lot more with visualization. Digital Language lab brings confidence and improves overall personality.
The functions of a language lab system are
- The teacher can assign assignments to the students.
- It is based on paperless examination.
- Online learning enhances listening and speaking skills.
- Batch management facility – a teacher can make different batches or groups of students to study or complete a project in the given time.
- Notice board – a teacher can put any notice on the notice at any time of day to make the students aware of the information.
- It provides effective communication training programs.
- It is a tool designed for teaching any foreign language.
- It helps the students to learn vocabulary, grammar, phonetics and many more.
- Accent training facility in British, American and Indian languages.
- It facilitates real-time monitoring of students.
- It helps in group discussion.
- New courses can be added at any time to enhance the skills of the students.
- Different groups can be made and assigned activities.
- It also facilitates a teacher to provide assistance individually and collectively.
- Soft skills are available to enhance skills and develop a personality.